Saturday, November 1, 2008

He Asked...I Accepted!!


It's a little late, I know but everyone is curious on how he asked. It was completely unexpected and very romantic and worth the fight we had earlier that day. Let me back up a little...

Before we left Arizona for Colorado, we talked about having date night in Grand Junction on Saturday night. We wanted to take full advantage of all the babysitters we had available while in town. Saturday came and I began to talk about wedding planning. Living in Washington and planning a wedding in Colorado takes work...some that can be done via email and Internet, but other work that needs to be done in person. Baines and I began to fight about what needed to be done at that point. The fact that he didn't properly propose came up and I began to get angry. I said to him "Maybe we should just call this off..."

After sitting down to dinner at our place and discussing the issue at hand, he convinced me to see a movie with him. On our way to the theater, he takes a detour towards the Monument telling me he has the perfect place for a picture. I didn't think anything of it. He pulled the truck over at our spot and helped me walk to the edge of the cliff in the dark. Once we reached the top, I could see the candles and small basket which held a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries. He turned towards me and asked the question..."Will You Marry Me?" With tears in my eyes, I exclaimed "Yes!"

Baines reached into the basket, pulled out my ring and slid it onto my finger. Of course, I couldn't see it in the dark! But with the magic of technology, he opened his cell phone and I was able to see the ring that I always wanted sitting beautifully on my left hand. Of course there is a story all its own...

A week before arriving in Colorado, Baines came home from work later than usual. He said that he had taken the afternoon and driven to Tucson to purchase the engagement ring I wanted and the jeweler did not have it. I was bummed because that meant that I would have to wait until we settled in Washington to have my ring. Dang It!! Truthfully, that was all a part of his "Covert Operation". Really, he went to the jeweler, ordered my ring in my size and asked that they deliver it to his dad's house in Colorado to arrive on the 23rd. Every morning, he would call his father and ask if the package arrived. Nothing...until the morning of the 25th...the day of the proposal. He was sweating...no doubt.

So, yes...we are engaged and planning a summer wedding in Colorado. I have already picked a dress, flowers and a cake. Now...where to hold the damn thing...

No comments: