Saturday, November 29, 2008

Holidays have begun...

This year is the first year that I will be away from my family on the holidays. Thanksgiving was this past Thursday and it was hard. We had all the fixins that I always had growing up, but it still didn't feel like Thanksgiving. There was something missing.

The night before Thanksgiving, my sister and I would usually be at Mom's house starting to get things ready for the next day's festivities. We would bake, cook, and clean. There was always laughter. We would always be laughing about something. That was my favorite part of the whole thing. Laughing with my family about the silliest things. This year, my sister called me a few times from her house as her and my mom were getting things ready for the next day. It made me miss them so much.

Christmas is on the way next and I already long for those shopping days with them. Some days we wouldn't even buy anything, but we would spend the entire day out having fun. Christmas day would roll around and we would all be together opening presents and laughing with each other.

This year is going to be so hard for me. Don't get me wrong, I love where I am right now. There have been a lot of changes this year and I am grateful for each one. I have a man by my side who loves me and three gorgeous children who are the light of my life. It's just difficult to be away from those people that you love so much for the first time in your entire life at this time of year.

I can do this. I have to be strong and put on a brave face. I know that my family misses me too and that they are thinking of me all the time. But what I wouldn't give for one day with my sister again...

No comments: