Sunday, March 7, 2010

I Miss Him


I miss my husband.....that's it. I have another six months until he comes home and there are days when I don't know if I will make it that long. It's so hard being without your other half when the only thing you want is for them to be near.
Throughout 2009, just about every Army unit in our area deployed to Iraq. My husband's unit was one of the last to leave. But now, all of these units are returning....returning to their families, their jobs, their real world. And can I say, I'm a bit jealous. But then I feel bad because I'm jealous. It's ridiculous! These wives have put in their time and paid their dues. They have played single mother to their kids and have dealt with the heartache of distance. But still, I can't help but be upset that my husband is not home also.
This week, I was able to be a part of a homecoming celebration for a very dear friend. Her husband spent a year in Baghdad, working in one of Saddam Hussein's palaces. During their year apart, she gave birth to their first child.....an event that her husband could not be a part of. She raised their son for the first nine months without the help of dad on top of the daily worry that her husband wouldn't make it home to even meet his son. I was thrilled for her that he was on his way home but at the same time, I was angry. Why does her husband get to come home but mine has to stay behind?? Why does she get her husband back now and I have to wait another six months??
I have so much time and will have to continue to watch more wives get their husbands back. I'm very thankful these troops are coming home because there are so many wives that have unfortunately lost theirs. I have to remember that one day, it will be my turn and I will be in his arms again. Until that day comes, I will continue to welcome home our troops and supporting my husband from afar.

No comments: