Monday, July 21, 2008

Ahh...the Memories...

Today I took a small stroll down memory lane. I'm not a pack rat by any means, but I do keep the sentimental things close by. I tend to keep old letters, greeting cards, small ribbons, movie and concert ticket stubs. Some people may call it junk, but it's a symbol of my life before. These small pieces of nostalgia remind me of where I have been, the wonderful people I met along the way and the good times in my life. The also allow me to see how far I have come and where I may be headed.

In this day of technology, there doesn't seem to be much room for nostalgia. No one takes time to stop and remember anymore. Life is moving at such a rapid pace and everyday there is a new invention created to help you keep up. I am addicted to my cell phone. I can not leave the house without it! There have been times that I have been late to work because I forgot my phone at home, turned the car around and gone back to fetch it. And I know that I am not the only one! What did we do before this fabulous invention? How did I survive my teenage years without a cell phone?

Writing letters to keep up with the people in your life was as common as breathing when I was a kid. In elementary school, we learned what a pen-pal was and everyone had one. I recently asked my eight year old daughter if she knew what a pen-pal was. She had no clue! With the introduction of the world wide web, there is no need to contact someone else on the other side of the world to learn about their culture and way of life. You just Google it. Gotta love Google. The answer to everything.

I often wonder what this world will hold for my grandchildren. It saddens me that the need for human contact may be eliminated by that time. No need to hug someone. There is sure to be some kind of gadget for that.

No comments: