Saturday, August 2, 2008

Kids...Sheesh!

I was always the maternal one growing up. I was certified in adult and infant CPR as a 11-year-old and started my own babysitting services to earn spending money. I loved being around kids and taking care of babies. Then I had my own and let me tell ya. There is no amount of babysitting that can prepare you for your own children.

First of all, when babysitting, there is always a time limit. The child's parents are eventually coming home to relieve you of your duties. Sure, you've spent the last three hours changing dirty diapers, cleaning up the Kool-Aid mess in the white carpet and being the referee as the siblings fight. But you get to go home! Not so when they're your own! As a parent, you're lucky to get to pee alone!

Secondly, as a babysitter, you can make mad money. As a teenage girl, I was raking in the dough watching the neighborhood kids and using my earnings on the latest lip gloss. Now, I have three kids 24/7 and I'm losing money! Someone needs to explain that one...

But for all these issues, I have to say there are more good moments than bad ones when you finally have your own children. Everyday, there is someone waiting for me to come home, sweep them up in my arms and kiss on them. No matter what kind of day I have had or how badly I screwed up that meeting with a client, there are three little people who still adore me. I can do no wrong in my kids eyes.

No comments: